2012 AWARDS & SCHOLARSHIPS
(The links for the documents are below.)
NJTESOL/NJBE, Inc. is an association of educators and administrators dedicated to the instruction of
English Language Learners at all levels of public and private education. Our interests include classroom
practices, research, curriculum development, funding, employment and socio-political concerns. In the spirit
of honoring and supporting academic aspirations of our students and members, NJTESOL/NJBE is pleased to
announce the following scholarship and award opportunities. This page links to the applications for the following award/grants:
- A $100 award for a Fourth grade English
- A laptop computer for an Eighth Grade English Language Learner
- A $1000 scholarship through the Héctor R. Villafañe Memorial Scholarship for a
college-bound Hispanic student
- A $1500 scholarship for a high school student to pursue study in an institution of post-secondary education in New Jersey.
- A $1500 scholarship for a current NJ college student to continue his/her post-secondary studies
- Advocacy Award for a colleague, administrator, or community member for
his or her efforts on behalf of English Language Learners
- A $500 grant from Elizabeth Claire, publisher of Easy English News, for
an ESL teacher who teaches ELLs under difficult conditions. The grant money
may be used to purchase materials or services.
We invite you to nominate
your deserving students for one of these awards or to apply for the advocacy
award. Winners will be notified by telephone and
by mail no later than May 1st. If the applicant does not receive a letter of
congratulations by this date, the applicant was not granted an award.
Winners will be honored at the NJTESOL/NJBE Spring Conference
Awards Reception, May
30th, 2012 at the Hyatt Regency Hotel, New Brunswick at 5:00 PM. Each recipient may be accompanied by two guests.
The Advocacy Award winner will be given on Thursday, May 31st at the
Please refer to the appropriate application to ascertain the eligibility criteria and needed supportive documents
for each grant/award. Choose the forms from the links below, print, copy as needed,
and return to the SIG representative noted on the form. All applications
must be received on or before
March 1, 2012. Please keep in mind that in all fairness, any
forms received after March 1st will not be eligible for consideration. There
will be no exceptions.
Submit a self-addressed, stamped
postcard with the application if you wish to confirm receipt of the application.
Thank you so much for your support of our efforts to encourage continued academic studies
for English Language Learners.
Judie Haynes, President, NJTESOL/NJBE, Inc.