2017 AWARDS & SCHOLARSHIPS
(The links for the applications are below.)
NJTESOL/NJBE, Inc. is an association of educators and administrators dedicated to the instruction of English Language Learners at all levels of public and private education. Our mission includes classroom practices, research, curriculum development, funding, employment and socio-political concerns. In the spirit of honoring and supporting academic aspirations of our students and members, NJTESOL/NJBE is pleased to announce the following scholarship and award opportunities to be presented at our Spring Conference on June 1, 2017 at the Hyatt Regency Hotel, New Brunswick at 6:00 PM. Each recipient may be accompanied by two guests.
We invite you to nominate deserving students for one of these awards. Applications must be received by April 10, 2017.
- A Fourth Grade English Writing Challenge for an English learner who has been in the U.S. 3 years or less. The winner will receive a tablet.
- An Eighth Grade English Writing Challenge for an English learner who has been in the U.S. 5 years or less. The winner will receive a tablet PC.
- A $1,500 Raquel Sinai Newcomer Scholarship for a student who is enrolled in ESL and/or bilingual classes in Grades 6 –12.
- A $2,000 Pedro J. Rodriguez scholarship for an ESL/bilingual high school student to pursue study in an institution of post-secondary education in New Jersey.
- A $2,000 Seal of Bilteracy Scholarship awarded to a high School Senior or a current college student who is a current or former ESL/bilingual student and has earned the NJ Seal of Bilteracy in the 2015 or 2016 project sponsored by Foreign Language Educators of N.J. and NJTESOL/NJBE OR who will receive a N.J. Seal of Biliteracy in 2017.
- A $2,000 scholarship for an ESL/bilingual student who is enrolled part-time or full-time in an institution of higher education and presently taking in ESL courses
- A $2,500 scholarship through the Dr. Jessie Reppy Memorial Scholarship for a graduate student enrolled in an accredited Master's in teaching English as a Second Language Program
- A $500 award through the Héctor R. Villafañe Memorial Scholarship for a college-bound Hispanic student that can be used for books and supplies.
- A $500 grant from Elizabeth Claire, publisher of Easy English News, for an ESL teacher who teaches ELLs under difficult conditions. The grant money may be used to purchase materials or services.
Winners will be notified by mail no later than May 3, 2017. If your student does not receive a letter of Congratulations by May 3, this means he./her was not chosen as a recipient.
Winners will be honored at the NJTESOL/NJBE Spring Conference Awards Reception, June 1, 2017 at the Hyatt Regency Hotel, New Brunswick at 6:00 PM. Each recipient may be accompanied by two guests.
Please refer to the appropriate application to ascertain the eligibility criteria and needed supportive documents for each grant/award. Choose the form from the links below and follow the instructions carefully. All applications, recommendations, and other required information must be received on or before April 10, 2017. Please keep in mind that, in all fairness, any forms received after April 10th will not be eligible for consideration. There will be no exceptions.
The applicant or teacher will receive an e-mail confirmation within a two weeks after the application, reference letter, and other required documents have been received.
Please address questions to our scholarship coordinator, Judie Haynes, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you so much for your support of our efforts to encourage continued academic studies for English learners.
JoAnn Negrin, President, NJTESOL/NJBE, Inc.